- Accreditation type: Erasmus Charter for Higher Education ERAPLUS-ECHE
- Accreditation reference: PL WARSZAW01
- Legal representative Title: Professor Gender: Male First Name: Sambor Family Name: GRUCZA Department : – Position: Vice-Rector for Cooperation and Human Resources E-mail: email@example.com Telephone 1: +48 22 55 20 443
- Contact Person (Dane osoby odpowiedzialnej za realizację projektu przez jednostkę organizacyjną UW).
„Background and Experience
Please briefly present the partner organisation = University od Warsaw (propozycja BWZ) The University of Warsaw (UW), founded in 1816, is Poland’s largest and finest University; a public higher education institution, research-oriented and mobility friendly. From its beginning, UW has played a major role in the intellectual, political, economic, social and cultural life of Poland. UW is among the top 3% of the world’s best universities according to global rankings such as ARWU, QS, THE. 19 UW programs have been listed in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020 (e.g. Archaeology, Modern Languages, Philosophy – ranked 101-150; Political Science, History, Linguistics, Communication, Law, Geography, Physics – ranked 151-200); 12 subjects offered by UW were ranked in the Shanghai Ranking of Academic Subjects 2020 (e.g. Physics ranked 51-75, Mathematics – 76-100, Public administration – 151-200 worldwide). UW occupies the first place in the national academic rankings. Its faculties hold national and international accreditations, such as EQUIS, AMBA, AASBI; it has created 24 spin-off companies. UW was awarded the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education and the HR Excellence in Research title by the European Commission. It is a member of the 4EU+ European University Alliance, in partnership with Sorbonne University (Paris, France), the University of Heidelberg (Germany), Charles University (Prague, Czech), University of Milan (Italy), University of Copenhagen (Denmark). UW participates in the “Excellence initiative – research university (2020-2026), organized by the Polish Ministry of Education and Science and aims to develop research in five priority areas: (1) Science for the Planet. Integrated multidisciplinary approach to identify and address environmental threats. (2) Beyond Micro and Macro Worlds: searching for cutting-edge innovations. (3) The Challenge of Petabytes. Advanced mathematics and computer science developing analytical tools to cope with massive data – from random processes on stock exchange to medical diagnostics. (4) The Humanities: Crossing Borders, Extending Capabilities. The growing body of research going across the borders of disciplines of science, discovering new insights into the mind, language, and culture. (5) Responding to Global Challenges. Searching for regional solutions to increased mobility, multifaceted inequalities, digital transformation in joint multidisciplinary teams. UW has 24 faculties, 4 doctoral schools, 30 independent teaching and research units; 43,000 students (including 2,500 PhD students), 2,100 post-diploma learners, 7,500 staff, including 3,800 researchers/teachers; over 100 study programs in Humanities, Earth, Social, Natural Science at first/ second cycles (Bachelor/ Master), 5-year Master Studies in Law, Psychology; 23 disciplines at UW Doctoral Schools; 22 Joint/ Dual Master programs; vocational training; summer schools; e-learning. UW is the most active and successful university in Poland in terms of participation in European Union programs which is demonstrated by the following selected data:
- within Erasmus+: e.g. over 2300 outgoing and almost 2100 incoming mobilities by KA103 (Higher education student and staff mobility) in the 2018-2020 projects; 23 Strategic Partnerships and 4 Capacity Building projects, 3 projects in a Jean Monnet Network.
- within Erasmus Mundus in 2007-2018: Joint Master Programs NOHA, ADVANCES and GEM; as a partner university in 28 Action 2 projects with higher education institutions from Asia, Russia, Western Balkans, Middle East, Latin America; as a coordinating institution of 4 Action 2 projects.
- within Horizon 2020: approx. 105 ongoing research projects, 20 of which are coordinated by UW;
- 18 European Research Council (ERC) grants received in a wide range of areas: algorithms, anthropology, archaeology, astronomy, cryptography, cultural sciences, linguistics, logic, mathemathical physics, sociology.
The quality of education at UW is confirmed by external and internal quality assurance measures, including the annual appraisals conducted by the University itself and by research conducted with the University’s graduates. Results demonstrate that having a diploma from the University of Warsaw is a definite asset in the job market and 94% of respondents have found employment after graduation. UW has over 680 international partners from over 100 countries and is a member of over 100 associations and networks, including 4EU+, CENTRAL, EUA, EUF, UNICA, EMT, HUMANE, NOHA, ASAIHL (the Association of Southeast Asian Institutions of Higher Learning).
What are the activities and experience of the partner organisation in the areas relevant for this project? What are the skills and/or expertise of key persons involved in this project? Wypełnia osoba odpowiedzialna za realizację projektu przez jednostkę organizacyjną UW.